|My image Click above for story|
|Click above to read comments on Twitter|
|I made this and put it on before Russian Foreign|
Minister Lavrov showed up in Hanoi and I had to
update the column.
― Viktor Emil Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning
|Click images to enlarge (learning to use my new photo editing software)|
|Science and Nature|
ANOTHER WEEK, ANOTHER BOTTOM - Daily Beast
This is the sad state of conservatism in the Trump era: You can either have your dignity but no influence or relevance, or you can keep your dignity and hit the pavement.
- “We will be having one of the biggest meteorological phenomena in the history of Washington, D.C., at 6:45 am tomorrow. It will be called ‘Sunrise.’ ”
- By reelection time, he will have given Americans indoor plumbing, ice cream and Christmas.
- He gave himself props for the “safest year on record” in aviation in 2017, even though no U.S. airline had had a fatality since 2009. And he claimed credit for inventing the 19th-century economic phrase “prime the pump.” This would appear to be a pure example of “fake news” — a phrase for which Trump has also awarded himself authorship.
- “How about the word ‘caravan?’ ” he said at a rally last week. “ ‘Caravan.’ I think that was one of mine.” The Post’s JM Rieger, who traced the origin of “caravan” to 1588, observed that Trump has also awarded himself credit for, among other things, a veterans’ health-care law enacted in 2014.
- And as Congress blocked his border wall, Trump claimed credit for segments of wall built years ago. “A lot of the wall is built,” he announced.
- And that wall is the greatest thing since sliced bread — which, it so happens, Trump also invented.
|Link to story above|
Trump unleashing digital juggernaut ahead of 2020, includes targeted Facebook advertising Apparently he's learning from the Russians.
|Click above to read comments|
Much of the media focus of the Florida sex trafficking raid and arrests has been generated by the fact that New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft (who Trump feels sympathy for) was arrested. What struck me in the NY Times article ‘The Monsters Are the Men’: Inside a Thriving Sex Trafficking Trade in Florida was this one sentence: "Sheriff Snyder said investigators, who worked with Immigration and Customs Enforcement, estimated the trafficking ring to be a $20 million international operation." This is the kind of serious law enforcement ICE should be doing, also known as real police work, instead of harassing people who are guilty of at most misdemeanors.
Dept of It Isn't Always Doom and Gloom: Federal Judge Shuts Down Trump Administration’s Discrimination Against Children of Same-Sex Couples
Trump's wall prototypes to come down along U.S.-Mexico border: Too bad. I thought they'd be saved for the "Trump presidential library" - a name that is an oxymoron for a moron president.
|If you're like me you never heard R. Kelly sing.|
He sounds like Michael Jackson.
Here's one of his most popular songs
"The constitutional libel rules adopted by this Court in New York Times and its progeny broke sharply from the common law of libel, and there are sound reasons to question whether the First and Fourteenth Amendments displaced this body of common law,” Clarence Thomas in his 14 page opinion saying Supreme Court should revisit landmark libel ruling. Progeny, of course, means offspring and he obviously means it pejoratively here. He probably was tempted to use the word "spawn." He apparently thinks all media descended from what Trump calls the "failing New York Times." Read more in The Hill
He's in line with Trump who wants to curtail the freedom of the press.
Could this liberal North Carolina state court gerrymandering decision end up in the Supreme Court?
Department of Just Deserts:
Feb. 19, 2019
- 1. Trump pressured Whitaker to install a crony to oversee the SDNY investigation.
- 2. Attorneys for the president dangled pardons to both Paul Manafort and Michael Flynn.
- 3. Even though Michael Flynn resigned voluntarily, Trump pushed the falsehood that he asked for Flynn’s resignation.
- 4. White House lawyers warned about Press Secretary Sean Spicer’s spreading of misinformation.
- 5. Trump claims Rod Rosenstein told him the Michael Cohen investigation had nothing to do with him.
- 6. Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-FL) and other Trump allies decided in July 2017 to actively undermine Mueller.
- 7. Trump has gone after Mueller and the Russia investigation more than 1,100 times in public.
“Four out of ten Americans are still okay with the lies every day, the racism every day,” Joe Scarborough today.
Feb. 18, 2019